Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Week Five... I feel so Alive

So this week we were in Hemeneutics with Merrill Dyck. That was an adventure and a half. The week started out ok. I was still wondering what "hermeneutics" meant and what the heck I was supposed to learn from this class. I had alot of homework due before the class started, and I got it in just in time. Monday we had our first session. After about an hour and a half of class Merrill gave us our first ten minute brake. Instead of actually taking a break I ran directly to Jim's office to tell him how much I hated this class and Merrill's teaching style and that I couldn't keep up with anything that was going on. I basically saw no point in me being in the class. The first night Merrill had us write a one page paper saying everything I new about Paul and the Philippians from the book of Philippians. Lets just say, I climbed into my bed at 4:30am. It was a long night. The next night our task was to write about what the book of John says about the world. I climbed into my bed at 2:30am, so a little better but still not so fun. Day three was the challenge of dissecting Numbers 25 1-15. We had to figure out what two groups were being compared and then answer a few questions on them. On thursday we went to the guest house for chapel and cinnimon buns. We got to hear Justin's testimony. I don't remember if I told you guys but we've been doing chapels once or twice a week and each time someone shares their testimony. Jim is hoping to have us all done by Christmas. It was nice to hang out in a different environment for an afternoon. Friday was our last day of class. We had all been reading a specific book of the bible. We were assigned either John, James, Philippians, or 1 Peter at the end of Spiritual formation and we all had to read our book once a day for seven days. So for our last day we had to teach the class the book that we had been reading. Our group decided to make a movie. We themed it kind of like the "Numa" videos by Rob Bell. There were nine people in my group, so we split off into smaller groups to each write a mini sermon on one topic of the book. It was a long night, but we got it all done and I was very happy with the final product. We got to see everyone's projects that morning and then we had the afternoon off to work on homework and hang out. It was wonderful to be done that dreadful class. The afternoon was spent mainly off on my own. I asked Boyda if I could borrow his bike for a bit and he kindly allowed me to. So I rode off into Crofton for an hour and a bit. I don't know if I told you that every sunday after church we go to someone from the congregation's house for lunch, but well... we do. Last sunday we went to a lovely couple in Crofton's house. Their son and his family also joined us. We had turkey sandwiches and pie and just hung out for a bit. It was pretty fun. So as I was riding back home from my adventures around Crofton I decided to stop and say hello. They were very excited that I knocked on their door. I got to hang out with the family and play chinese checkers with the kids for a while. Then I hopped back on my bike and finished the journey home just in time for my meeting about counselling. After the meeting I went on another adventure. I borrowed Ellie's camera (since mine is in kelowna) and started to take pictures of what camp looks like so that I could show everyone back home. This turned into an adventure of me trecking through the forrest randomly. I bush wacked for quite some time until I finally found a nice little stream. I followed that stream for a while till I found the ocean. After climbing down a cliff to the shoreline I turned around to see that what was a nice little stream had gotten much bigger and turned into a waterfall. I tried to get closer to the waterfall to take pictures and ended up soaking wet. After getting back up and wringing myself out I started to head back towards camp. This was much easier said then done though. I could see camp's dock, but there was no way for me to get there. I ended up climbing another cliff and bush wacking for quite some time till I found an almost non-existent path, which led to a medium sized path, and then to a much larger path that led to the girls cabin line. Finally I knew where I was. I got back just in time to move my stuff into my new temporary room that my cabin of girls would be in. I was counselling with my roomie Nicole for the weekend. This was looking like it was going to be good. We were introduced to our six nutty little girls. They were a hand full. We were late for absolutely everything and didn't get alot of stuff done at all. But we had a blast, so that's really all that matters in the end. They left this afternoon and it was bed time for Bria. Tomorrow we head off to Tofino to surf for a few days. I'm pretty excited, but quite worried that it will be really cold. I'm hoping that this trip will be better then the others, but we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment